• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Sparging

BrewerMike

Apprentice
Reaction score
On my brew sheet, it always says sparge with "x" gallons of water.  Then, add water to achieve 7 gallons (5.5 batch size with evap and losses in effect).  So, I was just wondering how much water I should be adding, or how much should be in my kettle after sparging and before adding water?  How does beersmith figure how much to sparge and how much sparge water is needed?  I am fly sparging.

In the third row of Recipe View, click the Equipment Details button.  BS uses the numbers you enter there to calculate the water needs.  Batch size is final liquid in the boiler.  All the losses along the process are added back to reach a suitable starting point of liquid in the kettle. 

If your boiler is big enough, you may not need any "top up" water.  If you leave one gallon beneath the valve, you must enter it so BS can account for it. 

Back