• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adding "No-Chill" Option

BUMP?

Still no idea how to use this with v2.2 ??

Current hop utilization under equipment is set at 100% ... what should this be set at to compensate for "no-chill" .. I can't seem to find info for this setting?

EDIT: The software called "BrewMate" have a no-chill option ... i wonder how their is setup ?

In BeerSmith 2.3 (just released) go into the equipment profile for your equipment and look for the whirlpool/steeped hop utilization section (middle right).  Check the box to estimate boil hop utilization in the whirlpool and then enter the time that your cube spends at above 85 C into the whirlpool time box.

If you do this, BeerSmith will calculate the IBUs from hop alpha acids remaining after the boil for each hop.  It does this on a hop-by-hop basis using the alpha acids that have not yet been isomerized in the boil.  This should give a very accurate picture of hop utilization post-boil (as opposed to just applying a factor like 10% to everything) and a good IBU estimate for no chill methods.

Brad

Hi Brad

Just clarifying how to use this.  I have a recipe that has some simcoe (13% - 10g FWH, 60 min boil), 30g at 10 mins, and 30 g at flameout as a 'whirlpool/steep' in the 'use'.  This gives me 43.1 IBU total (16.2, 16 and 10.9).

I will be using a hopspider for all these additions, leaving it in the whirlpool for 15 mins and then removing all of the hops.

If I then click the whirlpool time calculator in the equipment profile (15 mins above 85 deg), the IBU's then change to 19.1, 25.9 and 10.9 for a total of 56 IBUs. I note the whirlpool addition doesn't change IBUs (10.9).  If I then change it to 'boil for 0 mins' (ie flameout), the IBU addition goes to 0, giving me 45 IBU total.  In other words, it isn't counting this flameout addition for its IBUs at all, even though I would have expected it to. 

Shouldn't it still have the 10.9 IBUs from it that the program calculates when it is entered as a whirlpool addition, because this is what the whirlpool part of the equipment profile setup is for?

How is the program designed to handle this now for the schedule I have above (ie those additions, leaving all in for 15 mins in the whirlpool then taking all out)?  I would have thought that the setup giving 56 IBUs is correct

Thanks

And thanks again for the program.  I am liking all of the updates so far, just figuring out how to use your program properly

I see this has been fixed in the latest patch

Brad - if you are reading this - thanks so much for this program.  Your recent updates are awesome.  Looks like I am finally about to be able to get rid of the excel spreadsheets

Congratulations on producing such a great update

Thanks - yes the whilrpool carryover was too large (a little math bug) which I fixed in 2.3.7.  Thanks for the kind words.

Brad

Back