• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash Hopping

t2000kw

Brewer
Reaction score
I am interested in trying mash hopping (putting some hops in with the mash):

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/mash-hopping-4182/

according to one of the posts in that thread, "Promash sets it's default for MH to -30%IBU (and -10% for FW)."

So Promash can figure that in. Does Beersmith have a setting to use or have a work-around for this, or would it really matter since there might be too small an amount of alpha acids to be concerned with for bittering?

I would rather use Beersmith than Promash (I own both) but can use the other program if the need arises and see what each program does with the same recipe.

Also, has anyone here tried mash hopping?

Don

I did it once and saw no worthwhile effect.  And it was plug hops, which really bogged down the lautering, so I would recommend pellets only.  I've had much better success with FWH, which I think def does improve the bittering profile and perhaps smooth out the hops flavor. 

The low temps of a mash won't isomerize much alpha acid, so I don't think that calculation matters too much.

BTW - Hops in the mash also make the spent grains toxic to dogs, so watch where you dump them. 

I would have thought that plug hops would help prevent a stuck mash and make for a faster lautering session. I use whole hops from my hop garden, made into "plugs" but they are not the same as commercial plugs since I don't use high heat and pressure to make them.

When I toss them into the boil, I can see them open up and become just like whole leaf hops again. I haven't used them in a mash hop brew, though.

As for the (lack of) isomerization of the alpha acids in mash hops, would that mean that the alpha acids would (mostly) not make it into the boil after lautering?

Honestly, no idea.  But if complete submersion of the entire hops product for a full 60-minute boil in a 1.050 wort leads to a utilization factor of only 0.231 (Tinseth), then I would have to think that whatever AA got rinsed from the hops, thru the mash filter and into the boil would be much smaller. 

In a recipe, I just switched a FWH worth 36 IBUs to be a mash hop, and the IBUs dropped to 7, so that's about an 80% hit.

And Duh, I just looked at Tools \ Options \ Bitterness and see that there is a user-setting for Mash hops just like there is for FWH.  So, I'd recommend you try it and see what it does for you.  If you like it, then play with the settings to match your tastebuds.  I'm doing the same thing for FWH, because I do not think (to me) it is a plus 10% in perceived IBUs.  Might be in the lab, but I drink at home and at comps. 

I will let you know.....I have a scottish heavy in the secondary that I added 1oz of northern brewer to the mash.........I will update.

As for the (lack of) isomerization of the alpha acids in mash hops, would that mean that the alpha acids would (mostly) not make it into the boil after lautering?
PH and temp are required for the isomerization of AA. The higher the temps the better the isomerization of the AA, But PH also plays a factor in this. I had a pretty good discussion about this with a pro brewer ( http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php?topic=2407.msg10193#msg10193 ) and learned quite a bit about it.

My personal belief is that Mash Hopping is a waste of time and $, and that there is no "real" perceived benefit...

Cheers
Preston

Back