• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Fermentation: how long is too long...

F

funkybrewster

...for an open fermentation. I generally use carboys for my brews these days but I already had my 2 carboys in use so when I whipped up a Belgian Abbey style ale, I had to use the old plastic bucket/airlock setup I used when I first started. I used Wyeast Trappiste yeast in a recipe of 3.3 liquid malt extract and 3 pounds spraymalt. Well, I have heard that a fermentation longer than 10 days can be bad in a bucket. I am now on day 13 and the damned thing just won't stop! It's still bubbling about once every 15 or 20 seconds. The last hydrometer reading showed it to be around 6.5 ABV and the recipe is supposed to be 7-8. What should I do? I am relatively new to brewing and have never encountered this before. I have put way too much work into this one and don't want anything to go afoul but I just have no idea where I stand and what I should do! Thanks for your help, in advance
Ryan

If it has a good seal and is still bubbling away vigorously then let it go.  That much CO2 going out, doubtful that anything is getting in.  I wouldnt let it go more than another week though.  It should slow down in the next day or two.  When the bubbles subside to 1 every 5 seconds then go ahead transfer to the secondary.

as long as you are making CO2 you will have no issues.  Beyond that  it depends on what you brewed, strength, and such.

You are good for now.

Fred

Back