• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beersmith and batch size

M

Mets17

Hi folks,

Had a quick question regarding batch size calculation....does Beersmith take loss of volume from cooling/chilling and trub into account when calculating boil volume and finished batch size?

For example, say I want 5 gallons of finished beer, and want to do a 90 minute boil.  Beersmith calculates that I need 6.72 gallons of pre-boil wort to achieve this.  When I think about loss of volume due to trub and cooling, that pre-boil volume seems sort of low.  Generally, I find that I lose just under a 1/2 gallon to trub and cooling, so I was wondering if I should calculate my recipe for a 5.50 finished volume to take that in to account?

Thanks!

It does, if you tell it to.  Under Equipment, you can define an equipment profile to mimic what you do on your equipment.  If you take good measurements, then BSmith can apply the math in the background get you very close.  Tweak, measure, adjust, repeat. 

Final volume is the amount of clean wort you want to transfer to the fermenter.  Assuming a full-wort boil, you'd enter you own losses of trub, evaporation, and cooling loss that matches your system results.  For those doing a partial boil, you could enter your top-off amount as well. 

Every system is different.  My evap rate is lower due to the more vertical design of my Euro keg.

And each recipe keeps a separate copy of the Equipment profile, so recipes don't get hosed globally later if you change something.  So, if you make a change in Equipment, reselect the Equipment in a new recipe to get the latest version in that recipe. 

Attachments

• Equipment.png
    Equipment.png
    59.7 KB · Views: 463
Back