• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Teach a Friend to Homebrew Day, Saturday November 7th, 2009

bonjour

Forum Moderator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
http://beertown.org/events/teach/index.html
What is Teach a Friend to Homebrew Day?

The American Homebrewers Association (AHA) Teach a Friend to Homebrew Day is an international event to introduce people to the homebrewing hobby and establish relationships with local homebrew supply shops.

Each year on the first Saturday in November, homebrewers around the world are encouraged to invite non-brewing and brewing friends and family to celebrate Teach a Friend to Homebrew Day and brew a batch of beer together.

Before the event, participants that have Teach a Friend to Homebrew Day events register their site on this web page. These registered sites help the American Homebrewers Association track how many participants celebrated the event.

2008 More than 2,100 happy homebrewers taught another 610 people how to brew at 145 sites, producing over 2800 gallons of beer in the process.  Sites were registered in 40 States, 2 Canadian Provinces, Kenya, and Denmark.

So find a site near you to participate!!!!  I will be at site#6 Cap 'n' Cork in Macomb, Michigan where you will see systems both big and small, all-grain and simple extract brewing done.  This site is consistantly over 100 gallons brewed this day.

Fred

I am not sure if I will get out to a site, but think I'll have 2-3 apprentices at the 1882 brewery. 

I think I'll have 5-6 people and a couple of them will actually care about the brewing.  10 gallons of american IPA should come in 6-7%. Split on 1272 and US-05. I'm excited to try out the new burner.

My brewing buddy and I went to Teach a Friend to Brew Day hosted at the home of Denny Conn.  He made a dark Belgum beer, if I remember right.

There were about 15 to 20 people, with about maybe 5 or 6 people brewing and teaching. I made it a point to go around to all the brewers and listen to their words of wisdom.
Brandt was one of the first ones I met so I watched his brew setup.
Matt also had a lot of knowledge to share and was very down to earth.
Jeremiah was making a lager, so it was cool to listen to him as well.
Denny was a wonderful host. He made his world famous Beer Cheese Soup, that was great.

Wow what a day. My last couple of batches were a partial mash process, but after watching those Master brewers, guess what I'm going to be doing next time I brew. I'll be brewing all grain next time.
stevemwazup

That is a great story!  We wound up only having my assistant and my new brew buddy over. Illness took out the others.  The best part is just getting like minded folk together.  Hopefully next year, I can participate in more club brews.

Yeah, Denny said that this was one of the biggest turn outs in a while. He said there were some years that it would just be himself and maybe one or two people that would show up and brew.
So he was real excited to help teach all of us.
What a day.
stevemwazup

Our club brews behind our LHBS and had the best turnout ever as well.
CRAFT brewed 80 gallons of beer and made 15 gallons of mead.  The event, there were other brewers, produced 140 gallons of beer.

I'll estimate over 140 attended,  many new brewers.

Fred

Back