• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

RIMS system brewing

W

wrestler63

I have just aquired my 3rd keg for my RIMS system. My question is when recirculating the mash, do i use my sparge arm or do I build a seperate arm that is submerged in the mash so i dont aerate. Also at what time of mash do I begin recirculating and at that time do I raise my temp to mash out temp?
Thank you for any help,

Just my 2 cents...

If your sparge arm has "small" holes, they'll get plugged so fast you won't be recirc'n nuthin!

I built a sparge arm that uses 1/2" copper pipe with 4 outlets and sits near/under/over the surface of the mash.

See pics below:
http://picasaweb.google.com/jlbates4/BrewdayPics#

I went through a couple of revisions of sparge arms - the ones at the bottom are working well - the flex tubing with copper ring was TERRIBLE!!!

thank you for the advise and the pics...........i think i will be shooting for the larger holes in my roung sparge arm.

I recirculate without a sparge arm, I just leave the end of the hose exposed. The reality is that even with a great pump (e.g. March or a peristaltic) the maximum flowrate you will achieve is low because of head pressure so you don't have to worry about disrupting your grain bed. I switch to my sparge device when pumping my sparge water.

Mij said:
See pics below:
http://picasaweb.google.com/jlbates4/BrewdayPics#

Nice Pics of your brewery/equipment.. One question. Does you wife know you have a burner on her end table?

Cheers
Preston

SHHHH!!!!

That's her grandmother's old sewing machine/table - it weighs a TON and she's forgotten ALL about it!  :)

Besides, it's serving a new life now - helping me grow fatter month by month!

Don't be fooled... they see everything. She is just waiting for the right moment.

Back