• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Refractometer corrections

T

tresero

I wonder if I am using the refractometer tool incorrectly.
I had a strawberry wheat using WL300 and an OG of 1.042.
It went into the 2nd at 1.012 and I added 3 lbs of strawberrys.

My FG was 6.0 Brix which calculates to :
0.991 SG. The beer is a little light in body, but .991?
Also, the Beer properties calculations are definitly wrong as I can't have -6.8% ABV etc.

I assume on finished beer the box for Hydrometer reading is the OG and you enter the Brix reading for the calculation.

Hi!

Actually if you are using the "Finished Beer/ABV" calculation then you do not want to put in the OG -

The correct way to use this particular tool is to take BOTH a refractometer and a hydrometer reading.  From these two readings the program can back out the original gravity - which is great if you forgot to take an original gravity reading.

Normally to get your final gravity from a refractometer reading you would just use the "Fermenting Wort Gravity" calculator and plug in the original gravity and current refractometer reading.  Unfortunately you don't really have a good "original gravity" reading...

The calculation you are trying to do is actually pretty complex - because you added a substantial amount of fermentables during the secondary.  This means you never really had an "original gravity" as a single number since you partially fermented the beer before adding the strawberrys.

The method above (Finished Beer ABV) might be one way to back out the "original gravity" as it "might" have been if you had added all of the fermentables at once.  This could then be used in the "Fermenting Wort Gravity" tool to get the final gravity and stats.

There is probably another way to work the numbers forward from your two OG readings rather than backward from two FG readings as I suggest above - but I'm not sure exactly how to do it at the moment!

Cheers!
Brad

Back