• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

DME in carbonation tool

LaC

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi.
On a Danish forum a question has been raised about the Carbonation Tool. As DME fermentability is based on an average yield in the carbonation tool this can provide faults in carbonation levels.
Compared to The Beer Recipator (http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/carbonation.html?11569667#tag) this difference is quite high.
In this small online calculator it is possible to adjust the fermentability.
It's also possible to choose a natural carbonation on kegs, which too will give somewhat different calculations on how much sugar is needed to get the desired level of carbonation.
I don't know how much difference there might be between DME across the world, but it seems the calculations made by The Beer Recipator would fit the DME available here in Denmark. I have personally had a few undercarbonated beers, using Beersmiths calculation of the DME amount to add.
Would it be possible to add these functions in a later update of Beersmith?
Any other comments on this?

Regards
Lars Reinholdt Christensen
LaC-Brew www.larchris.dk
Denmark

There are wide differences in DME fermentability, esp. Laaglander from Europe, which is quite low.  Munton's is usually considered fairly dry.  If Brad could find reliable data, it would make sense to offer "name-branded" DME choices in that drop-down box. 

I don't have all of the data on different brands, which do vary widely, but I am looking at adding an option in the next version to allow one to characterize the fermentability of a given carbonation method to allow for a wider variety of carbonation sugars (honey, DME, etc...).

Brad

Thank You very much.
This would be a very nice option to add. As it is now, I'll have to use The Beer Recipator to calculate when using DME or natural carbonating on kegs. Using sugar on bottles everything is fine.
So I'm looking foreward to this.  :)

Back