• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Well, looky there........

MaltLicker

Forum Moderator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Just discovered the unchecked box "Adjust Temp for Equipment" in the mash profile.  Been wondering why I always hit the mash temp exactly inside (I heated mash pot with strike water) and have been consistently low outside.  Figured it was strictly the delays and loss of heat while pumping. 

Should the default for that be "checked?"  I would imagine most AG brewers add already hot water to the empty MLT? 

As I understand it, if you don't pre-heat your mash tun you should check that box.  If you do pre-heat the mash tun than you should leave it unchecked.  From what I gather, BS will tell you how hot to heat the infusion water based on your equipment setting basically being room temp when you start provided you indicate that by checking that box.  Below is the text straight from the help file. Hope this helps

Adjust Temp for Equipment - When checked, the mash tun parameters from the equipment database are used to adjust mash infusion temperatures and decoction amounts to compensate for heating the mash tun.  If not checked, the mash tun is ignored and only the grain and water temperatures are used for calculating infusion and decoction amounts.

Yea, since I use a custom report I never see that warning that says

WARNING: Preheat Mash Tun - No equipment adjustments made!

And it never mattered to me inside because I heated the water in the MLT.  Now I'm pumping hot water up to a cold empty MLT, so it matters.  BSmith says it's worth 2F on the water temp needed.  I'm still going to over shoot it next time and add grains when the temps hit the right number.  And I could be crushing up to 0.005 or 0.007 tighter after finding the BC was looser than I thought.  I hope to see a boost in EE%. 

Back