• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Wheat Starch

Berkyjay

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
So I have been working on a Belgian brew in the vain of a Rochefort 10.  My first batch came out fairly successful with a nice hint of roasted bitterness balancing the sweetness the yeast flavors.  It could be better though as always.  But in comparison tasting with a R10, I noticed that the Rochefort has this nice mouth feel  that you get with some Oatmeal Stouts.  I have read that the use Wheat Starch as an adjunct in their brew, mainly to boost alcohol content.

So now to my questions.  Has anyone here ever used Wheat Starch?  And where would I normally get Wheat Starch.  How much do I use?  I am figuring no more than half a pound for a 5 gallon batch.

I used some spelt flour in my last wit, and I think it helped provide the cloudiness I could never achieve.  High-end food stores like EarthFare carry those grain flours in their raw fruits and nuts area. 

MaltLicker said:
I used some spelt flour in my last wit, and I think it helped provide the cloudiness I could never achieve.  High-end food stores like EarthFare carry those grain flours in their raw fruits and nuts area. 

So can I assume spelt flour is a kind of wheat starch?

Spelt is a grain, like wheat.  Supposed to be historically accurate to wits. 

Same type store would have a wide choice for you. 

MaltLicker said:
Spelt is a grain, like wheat.  Supposed to be historically accurate to wits. 

Same type store would have a wide choice for you. 

So I've been searching around the organic stores in my area and have been unsuccessful finding wheat starch....which is weird because I live in San Francisco.  But someone mentioned to be that wheat flour and wheat starch are the same thing.  I am highly suspicious of this.  Could anyone verify this?

Thanks.

Back