• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Low ferm temps with Ale yeast...

Berkyjay

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
So I am brewing high gravity (1.095) Belgian this weekend using Wyeast 1762 which the ferm temp range is listed as between 65-75 degrees.  My brew partner is SfBeerGuy who is brewing his Scotch Ale the same day.  The conflict is that he will require a lower temp for our freezer (around 60 degrees) so I am wondering what affect there will be having my brew at that temp.  I am considering leaving my brew out of the freezer for a few days to allow for a strong fermentation early on then slow it down by putting it into the lower temp freezer.  Any thoughts?

The range for W1762 is 65-75F, so it may struggle at 60F, or just be slow.  Be careful allowing the ferm to take off early; if the temp runs high, fusel alcohols could be created, as well as strong esters you don't intend.  It's ok to let some Belgians rise after the primary ferm is over so they can finish out and generate some pleasant esters.

MaltLicker said:
The range for W1762 is 65-75F, so it may struggle at 60F, or just be slow.  Be careful allowing the ferm to take off early; if the temp runs high, fusel alcohols could be created, as well as strong esters you don't intend.  It's ok to let some Belgians rise after the primary ferm is over so they can finish out and generate some pleasant esters.

Hmm, good points.  I don't think I am too concerned with the temp getting too high.  SF if fairly mild lately and it is unlikely the ferm temp would get above 75,  I'm more concerned with maintaining a consistent temp.  I am in no hurry however so 60 degrees might not be so bad.

I forgot to mention starter size; verify your needs at http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Especially if you decide to ferm low at 60F, having ample healthy yeast cells will be critical to reaching full attenuation.  I entered 5.25 gals of 1.095 OG with a two-month-old package, and it spit out a 3.36 liter simple starter.  (Amazing that a stir-plate reduced that to 1.26 liter.) 

And too, much of the Belgian "magic" is from the esters/phenols from the yeasts; if you go that low, you may restrict that aroma/flavor generation and create a more-neutral brew than desired.  If you go with ambient, consensus here has been that the center of the carboy might be 2F higher than the outside edge.  There, a wet, cold towel may help contain the heat during the important first four days. 

With Belgian ale yeasts, you are very safe just letting it go. Duvel reports fermenting as high as 95F, and still making great beer. Belgian yeasts aren't large producers of fusel alcohols. While it still produces them ( along with aldehydes ) at higher temperatures, it's not as predominant. Pitch your yeast at 60F and just let it go. It should be nearly done fermenting by the time it hits the higher temperatures, so fusel alcohol and aldehyde production will be very minimal, while still getting some nice esters.

Darin

Back