• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

pump for RIMS system

W

wrestler63

I know march pumps are considered the best for pumps in homebrewing but has anyone ever heard of little giant pumps..... 1/10th HP and they are also magnetic drive. I have seen them on ebay for around 50 - 75 bucks.

I suppose it depends on your application. The pump face on the march pump is made from polysulphone and can withstandd temperatures up to 250F. I'm not positive but I don't think the little giant pumps can handle that kind of heat. If you're pumping boiling wort, sparge water or hot wort ( I would assume you will be since it's for a RIMS system ) it would quite literally melt the pump face, impeller and seals.

Darin

+1 for the March pumps...  There really is a reason that they are the "standard."  They just work.  IMHO - they are the most "reasonably" priced product which meets a brewers requirements - heat, head pressure, cost...

enough said...... there is always a reason people refer products.......this must be the case....ty all

Have you considered Procon?
They make SST pumps for the beverage and medical industry.  E-bay has them all the time.  You need a special motor shaft with a split in it or get a motor made for them.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=10664

Austin claims to have best price on the March 809.  NB also carries it at a good price if you usually shop there.

I had trouble at first b/c I thought if water was reaching the pump it was primed.  Not really.  Since I started laying down the outbound tube until water flowed out it has worked like a charm. 

MaltLicker said:
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=10664

Austin claims to have best price on the March 809.  NB also carries it at a good price if you usually shop there.

I had trouble at first b/c I thought if water was reaching the pump it was primed.  Not really.  Since I started laying down the outbound tube until water flowed out it has worked like a charm. 

MaltLiker
What do you mean aout, "laying down"?  I thought the standard was vertical with out in the up position and in at the bottom.

Back