• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

using distilled water to dilute chlorine ....

SleepySamSlim

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
The latest BYO mag had an interesting article on water chemistry. One are they looked at was chlorine - and certainly the best way to remove chlorine is via a charcoal filter system. A quick and simple method BYO mentioned was using distilled water to replace part of your brewing water - basically diluting the amount of chlorine. I think they indicated up to 50% of your water could be replaced with distilled.

The LBS say yes this would work but you might want to replace back some minerals. On our current budget I do not see a filter system anytime soon and distilled water at 99cents a gal is not too bad. Our chlorine also is not too bad - just detectable - I may try just using 1gal in my usual 3.5gal partial boil.

I took the top off my wife's filtered water jug and roped it to my fermenting bucket and trickled water through it for my Tahoe water.  It took a little while but worked.  Between brews you could use it for water.  ;)

SleepySamSlim said:
On our current budget I do not see a filter system anytime soon and distilled water at 99cents a gal is not too bad. Our chlorine also is not too bad - just detectable - I may try just using 1gal in my usual 3.5gal partial boil.

You could possibly look at Brita (and other) water pitchers.  I'm pretty sure they're carbon-based and since you need relatively little water (50% of your smaller batches), that might suffice for you.  Might be cheaper over the long-haul than buying jugs.  You'd just have to start filtering and storing in advance of brew day, which is roughly same as shopping and lugging water home.

Here's a great write up on how to put together a filter for brewing-
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/water-filter-setup-29145/

I spent around $45 to put this together using the listed part numbers.  I did skip out on the three parts on the right of the picture.  I just use a short hose to connect to my utility sink.

stadelman said:

I spent around $45 to put this together using the listed part numbers.  I did skip out on the three parts on the right of the picture.  I just use a short hose to connect to my utility sink.
Say No to garden hoses!

Cheers
Preston

Agreed.

Kind of a random statement.  I don't see where I said anything about garden hoses.

UselessBrewing said:
stadelman said:

I spent around $45 to put this together using the listed part numbers.  I did skip out on the three parts on the right of the picture.  I just use a short hose to connect to my utility sink.
Say No to garden hoses!

Cheers
Preston

I've attached a picture of my setup. Just a carbon filter. Very simple and cheap. And a garden hose works fine. No off flavors whatsoever.
Just so you know the other place the water goes ( unfiltered ) is to my plate heat exchanger.

Darin

Attachments

• Water Filter.jpg
    Water Filter.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 2
For extract brews, I did a brita. It was a hassle. But basically, I just worked water through every time I went in the kitchen. 

Once I went to ag, I just get my water aside a couple days early and let the chlorine evaporate. Between that and the Hlt simmer, it seems to work.

atarlecky said:
Use campden. Forget about the filter.

I'm no chemist .... but the article I referenced indicated that a city may use chlorine or chloramine to serve as a disinfectant. Campden tablets were recommended only to handle chloramines.

Eventually I will McGiver a charcoal filter rig ....

+1 for Campden tablets...  They neutralize both chlorine AND chloramines.  For an extra side effect; they also are GREAT for preventing oxidation - ever hear of sulfates ;)

Dr. Bamforth did a great episode on Hot Side Aeration (HSA) on Brew Strong where he discussed the effect of potassium sulfate and essentially said that it was really good at prevention beer staling, oxidation, etc - except that you'd have to put it on the label as an ingredient and that some people have reactions (  :( ) to it...

Back