• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Birch Sugar

carboy7

Apprentice
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has used birch sugar in a beer? It's also called Xylitol. It does not decay teeth like table sugar, but can be used as an equal to it. I don't know if the yeast in beer would digest it the same as other sugars? It comes from the bark of a birch tree, and has a great taste. But I don't want to put a pound in a beer and find out all I did was make it undrinkably sweet.
                            Keep Brewing,
                                                       Doug  :-/

I'm not familiar with this particular sweetner, but looking at a few web sites it appears it is a "sugar alcohol" and not a "sugar" so it might have a very low fermentability if it ferments at all.  This would likely make the beer quite sweet, but not in a malty way.

I guess my other question is what are you trying to achieve by using this sugar?  If you are just using it as a sweetener, there are many proven alternatives.  If you are trying to add alcohol, again there are many alternatives (rice, corn, sugar).

Cheers!
Brad

Back