• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Recover recipes from HD image

Choven1218

New Forum Member
Reaction score
My work laptop required a complete reload, which caused me to lose all of my recipes.  Fortunately, the IT guy made an image of the drive prior to wiping it clean.  I've followed the advice from this forum and tried a number of different recovery options, but nothing has worked.  I'm running WinXP, and this is what i've tried.

1.  I've copied only the *.bsm files from the old drive image into the new beersmith directory.  The program opens but I lose all of the tables (no hops, grain, equipment, mash profiles, etc.) and I do not have my recipes.

2.  The new installation seems to work fine.  So I tried to import the old *.bsm files.  I always get "An unknown error occurred while accessing [FileLocation]\*.bsm".  If I click on the "Scratch Pad" location in beersmith (where the import should occur), I get "BeerSmith Brewing Program has encountered a problem and need to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience." message and the program crashes.

3.  I've tried to copy the *.BAK files and recover the tables to no avail.  The program asks which table to open, then asks if I want to save the current table.  I've tried 'yes' and 'no' option, but the recovery seems to have no effect.  That is, my old tables (recipes, hops, mash profiles, etc.) do not appear.

4.  I have installed a new version then copied the old beersmith folder to the new beersmith folder.  I clicked yes to all when asked if I want to replace files of the same name.  After doing this, beersmith would not open.  The DOS window pops up and closes, and that's it.  I then downloaded "beersmith_patch.zip" (I think I have the name correct) which was just the beersmith.exe file, but I get a message saying that the program is not configured correctly.

I might only have about 14 recipes entered into the program, and I have 8 or so that were printed so I have those recipes.  I'm not going to be devastated if I don't recover the recipes, but I would like to retrieve them so that I can adjust the recipe that next time I make the beer.  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks...

CC

Try the following:
  Rename any of the XXX.BAK files to XXX.BSM and try opening those. 

Also if you are running Vista the files might be in the compatability directory which is in the virtual store.  The full path to the compatibility directory is:  C:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\BeerSmith

where {USERNAME} is your login name for Vista.

Thanks for the response, but it did not work.  I renamed my hops and recipe *.bak files to *.bsm and tried to import them.  I tried to import these files from the program folder (so I copied them into the beersmith directory) and from the MyDocs folder.  I keep getting the "unknown error..." message when I try to import.  If I try the "import and append" or "import and merge" option, the I am told that the "File does not contain data that can be imported into this table".  I can, however, import recipe files from the beersmith website, so the import function seems to be working. 

I am running XP, and to my knowledge, there is not a compatibility directory on the computer.

Any other options?

CC

Back