• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Barley crusher roller setting

B

bassphisherman

Hello,
I have a barley crusher roller mill and I was wondering what everyone else was setting the gap between the rollers at? I am currently using it at the factory setting .039 but I am thinking the this is too narrow because i have had a couple of stuck mashes before. I am not to concerned about my efficiency.

bassphisherman said:
Hello,
I have a barley crusher roller mill and I was wondering what everyone else was setting the gap between the rollers at? I am currently using it at the factory setting .039 but I am thinking the this is too narrow because i have had a couple of stuck mashes before. I am not to concerned about my efficiency.

I have never had a stuck sparge and have kept mine a bit tighter than you do.

Have you considered using some rice hulls?  Also, what type of grain bill do you tend to use?

I recently found mine to be loose, so I went to 0.035 for the last two crushes.  Both grists were finer than I was getting and I had no issues sparging.  Neither had much wheat and had zero rye. 

A friend told me he has started putting his rice hulls in the grain before crushing so it all gets mixed well.  I'm going to try that next time I use hulls.

Rep said:
I have never had a stuck sparge and have kept mine a bit tighter than you do.
You realize you just jinxed yourself right!

I use mine at .039 also and only add Rice hulls when I use specific adjuncts.

Cheers
Preston

Back