• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Questions about calculations

F

FlyingSailor

Hi,

I am using the trial version, trying to figure a few things out. I am using an example partial mash recipe to get used to the program. I added my equipment which includes a 32qt brew kettle. When choosing the single infusion, medium body, batch sparge option for my mash profile it gives me several calculations that I have questions about. I am mashing with 4.25 lbs of grain and BeerSmith instructs me to mash in with 4.69 qts of water. Seems like the software is using 1.10 qts of water per lb of grain. Is there any way to change that setting to use more water? If there isn't, that isn't a big problem, but why was 1.1 qts/lb of grain used? Any particular reason?

For the batch sparge, it instructs me to use 5.29 gallons of water. Is this amount of water based solely on how desired boil volume, based on the size of my brew kettle? Is over-sparging taken into account? I guess I'm asking is the software calculating to make sure that over-sparging is NOT occurring? Thanks for all the help.

Hi,
  You can change the default water to grain ratio by editing the mash profile itself - you can create your own mash profiles with any water to grain ratio that you like and use them in your recipes.

The batch sparge is based on your equipment and batch settings as described.  It does not take oversparging into account - you would need to measure pH or gravity as you sparge to accurately prevent this issue.

Cheers,
Brad

Back