• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

mash paddle

SOGOAK

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
When I was stirring 29lbs of grist in saturday night, I noticed my $3 spoon was about to snap.

Then when trying to stir down a boil over my hand got 'bit' by the steamy foam pretty badly.  Has anyone made a mash paddle/ stir spoon device? What wood would be best?

I usually have my MT up on a sawhorse table so I don't want a 6 foot paddle.  Maybe 3 foot.

I watched two guys make such a paddle during their brew session.  I would think any hardwood would work OK - maple, ash, etc.  Not sure if any particular wood might leach a taste into the wort.  The home centers carry several types of wood for pre-cut shelving in the lumber dept.  I bet you'd find a couple choices in a 3 ft length there. 

I am working on making me and a few fellow brewers some paddles. I bought two (6"x9'x3/4") white maple boards that I am curing right now. I plan on using a short rowing ore for a pattern, and plan on cutting some slots in for better mixing. I plan for them to be around 3' long and hope to get 3 per board. I had to go to a custom wood shop to get the maple because it was not available at my local Home center. Currently I have about $20 invested in the wood so it is not very expensive...

Currently I Have the wood stored in the garage attic and it is quite hot even in these cool months. They have been up there for almost 6 months, so they should be dry by now. Guess I need to get this project going now. I was planning on giving them as Christmas gifts, and that is right around the corner.

The wood wont be in contact with the boiling wort, just the grist in the MT so there should not be any problems. If you choose a hard wood that is used in cooking like Maple, Oak, or Ash you should be fine.

Cheers
Preston

Back