• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Total Grains when Using Extract

bspisak

Brewer
Reaction score
Why does "Total Grains" include amount of extract used?  When doing a partial mash, I just want to the quantity of grain I'll be mashing.

Looks like the Mash Profile is correct though, not using the extract.  It's just the "Total Grains" field below in the Ingredients section that is weird.

Brian

Is your profile/TYPE (up top/middle) set to "All Grain"? Maybe it's set to Partial mash.......

Doesn't seem to make a difference.  The case I'm talking about is a partial mash though.

Hi,
  No - currently the extracts are counted in the "total grains".  I suppose it could be done to count only the grains.

Cheers,
Brad

If there's no reason to include the extract, it seems more useful to only show the grains in the summation.  When formulating a Partial Mash recipe, my total grains are limited by my mash tun size and I can use this field to ensure I don't go over.  It is also useful to see total grain usage when doing manual calcs outside of Beer Smith.

Although, now that I think of it, perhaps there should be a feature that looks at your total grains, mash tun size, and mash ratio and tells you if you have a capacity issue.  ;-)

Hmmmm.... it could even convert grain to extract when converting an All Grain recipe to Partial Mash based on mash-tun limitiations.  Ooooo..... I like it.  ;-)

bspisak said:
Although, now that I think of it, perhaps there should be a feature that looks at your total grains, mash tun size, and mash ratio and tells you if you have a capacity issue.  ;-)

This one is there, albeit buried.  Under Mash Profile, click the Details button.  It considers grain weight and water ratio and gives Tun Volume Required in the upper right corner.  This screen is also where you'd adjust your grain temp and MLT temp as that drives the strike water calcs somewhat.

It would be nice if there were a warning that flashed "get a bigger mash tun" if your recipe exceeded your equipment. 

Back