• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brewing Gruits

S

SFBeerGuy

I am going to attempt my first Gruit in a couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone here has any experience brewing them.  I am going to attempt a rather traditional Gruit but a bit more complex with the herbs and spices that I add.

What I know nothing about are amounts and boil times for the various herbs.  Here is what I have come up with:
1.00oz Mugwort @ 60min
2.00oz Dandelion Root @ 30min
0.50oz Chamomile flower @ 10min
1.00oz Spruce tips @ 10min
2.00oz Bog Myrtle (Sweet Gale) @ 10min
2.00oz Juniper Berries @ 10min
2 vanilla beans in secondary.

As I have read, I plan on a 1.00oz FWH addition of Saaz mainly for the purpose of preservation.

The grain bill (all-grain) is pale 2-row with a wide selection of specialty malts to build complexity.

Any thoughts?  Revisions?  Criticism?

Interesting.  The closest I've come is the "gruit" herbs for a wit I've brewed three times. 

Below were my notes on that hodge-podge, all dropped in last five minutes.  QTY was closer to 0.25oz on most herbs, but they're supposed to be in background on wits. 

Added coriander, chamomile tea, orange spice tea, cardamon, cumin, and Herbs de Provence at five minutes and one minute.  Added citrus zest at flame-out.

Back