• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Honey as an ingredient in BeerSmith

Lupulin Junkie

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have plugged in the ingredients for a Nut Brown Ale recipe into Beersmith.  One of the ingredients is 2 1/4 lbs of honey.  When I hit the "preview brewsheet" button it has me putting the honey in the primary fermenter.  I guess my question would be: For any beersmith recipe that includes honey is that actually the best time to add the honey, and if not, when is a generally accepted "best time" (i.e. add honey at the very end of the boil, or with no more than 5 or 10 minuted left in the boil? :-\  In working with honey to make mead, the overall feeling in every forum that I have read is that raw honey could have quite a few impurities in it and that boiling the honey would help, get rid of said impurities. 

I usually add honey at flameout. The flavors and aroma are very easily cooked off.

I know people that add honey during the start of wort cooling when beer is about 180F.  Hot enough to pasteurize but not boil off all the aroma and flavor. 

Back