• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Sparge water

J

jim4065

I'm doing something wrong on the "All-Grain" recipe page. For example, I want to brew using 10.25#'s of grain with a single 158 degree mash - then drain that wort and batch sparge with an appropriate amount of water to raise the temp to 170 and let it sit for 15 minutes, then run it out into the pot. The program isn't telling me how much sparge water to add - all it does is ask what percent of the tun I want to fill. ?????  I don't have any idea - I just want enough running out to equal the amount that I already got. Beyond the fact that I have no idea of what I'm doing, what am I doing wrong?

You should be able to use the "Adjust Mash" tool and enter the amount of grain and water of your mash and current temp to tell you how much water you need to add to bring it up to 170.

Yes, but how much water do I need to use (after intial draining of mash water) to rinse it properly and hit my starting boil volume? I just looked at the video tutorial and it showed the "water needed" tool - but all it says is "static".  Hello???  ???

Hi Jim

The amount of water for the sparge is tied to batch size, grain weigh, MT dead space, boil time, as well as a few others and is automatically calculated. This will not be viewable in the recipe view of BeerSmith.

Select My Recipes in the right had pane, then in the top pane where your recipes show up. Single click a recipe to highlight it. The bottom pane will then show you the recipe. If you have all your settings setup correctly the sparge volumes will show up here.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Preston

Preston,

Thank you. That makes it all work for me now.  ;D

Jim

Back