• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Sparge water loss in system compensation

K

kpowers11

Brad,

Is there any way to add a parameter in the equipment profile that would allow the program to add a set amount of water to the sparge water needed calculation based upon loss in my system.  Essentially, I pump my sparge water back through a heat exchange coil in order to recover lost mash runnings during the heat exchange recirculating mash process.  In exchange, however, some of my sparge water is left behind in my hoses and heat exchange coil as well as the very bottom of my HLT.  It would help me greatly if there could be a parameter to compensate for this.  As it is, I put a negative number in the top up water part of the equipment profile under the boiler section.  This seems to accomplish what I want but seems a little clunky.  Also, I am not sure what this is doing to other calculations the program is performing.  Let me know what you think.

Ken

Ken,
 I like your workaround - very innovative, but I will add this to my ever growing "to do" list.

Another user suggested adding a temperature drop (from sparge water tun to mash tun) so I could probably add this at the same time.

Cheers!
Brad

Brad,

Thanks very much for your attention to detail.  It is the flexibility of changes like this that will allow true total customization of the equipment profiles.  This will allow for very accurate water calculations and the like based upon the usage of unorthodox systems.  By the way, I like the temperature drop suggestion for the sparge to mash tun as well.

Ken

Back