• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Suggestions to improve a Mexican Cerveza kit

Lupulin Junkie

Apprentice
Reaction score
So, a well intentioned but unkowing friend gives me a single can of Coopers Mexican Cerveza extract beer kit (allready hopped). The picture on the can's label makes me think that it is meant to make something along the lines of a Corona. What I basically want to do is "turn" it into a partial mash recipe/kit.

It calls for a kilogram of brewers sugar wich I will be replacing with probably 2 & 1/4 pounds of light DME ( 1kilo = around 2&1/4 pounds). I will also be replacing the dry yeast packet with some kind of liquid yeast.

My questions to all of you are: What suggestions would you have to improve this kit? What kind of yeast should I use? What, if any, grains could I add to help improve the kit? Should I add more hops and what kind?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Good question. I think you need to have a recipe in mind that you are aiming for.  So for example most NAIL has a lot of adjucts in it.  Partially for cost, partially because the mainstream seems to want minimal flavor and calories. This isn't always negative. I know plenty of homebrewers that make a cream ale for a session brew.  I am not sure what cervezas use for their normal mash.  If it were me, I'd put in a little 2row for body and diastic power and then either corn or rice.

I looked at the ingredients in the extract, and they don't use any adjuncts like rice. I would also suggest some kind of rice addition and some 2 row. I use gelatinized rice (Minute rice) because it is ready for the enzymes. Add it to your 2 row at around 148-150F for 45 min. I have no idea of what the IBU is on this, so I dont have any suggestions on hops.

Cheers
Preston

Thanks for the advice!

I have decided to use the kit as part of a base for a Blonde Ale style beer with the addition of some 2row pale malt, crystal 10, munich and carapils for body and head retention.  I've added some Cascade and Crystal hops and will be using Wyeast 1056 American ale yeast.  Plugged into BeerSmith I found that it falls into the upper end of the Blonde Ale beer profile.  We'll see.  I've always heard that one of the joys of homebrewing is experimentation. ;D

That sounds great to me!  I like my session beers a little strong so I don't have to drink 12

Back