• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

happy cold weather sunday! From Downers Grove IL

BILLY BREW

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Been brewing for about 15 years and got the BeerSmith for Christmas from my daughter about 5 years ago...Damn thing changed my life!
Haven't bought a "kit beer" since.
Yesterday was my first endeavor into the world or lagers, with a Honey Ginger using Bohemium Lager Yeast (2124 Wyeast)
Got it on the floor in the basement (60DF). Beautiful white cloud appeared over the amber sea this morning...What a way to start the day!
My question...I have heard to keep lagers in primary for 30 days or more, then some say to take it off at 7. I bagged my hops so I don't have any spooge to worry about. Any of you professors have an opinion? :-\

Attachments

• GINGER HONEY LAGER.PDF
    28.8 KB · Views: 280
Hey Billy, Blake here from wheaton.  Ever come to a beer club? 

Lagers take longer than ales. But most importantly, neither a calendar or bubbling airlock indicate full attenuation.  Best to measure 2-3 days in a row and when the gravity stops, then go to secondary and lager.

Definately read Fred's response on your recipee post.  Much more detailed from extremely sharp veteran brewer.

thanks fellas! Hey Blake from Wheaton...Where do you hang? I get my stuff from Chicago Winemakers on North ave and 83. New owner and the kids pretty pumped on brewing...Does parties from time to time to exchange craft.
we should swap stuff...got 10 years worth or recipes

Hay me jess from London. I am the student of Mcs and busy with my study related to the IT field.

Billy, I mix it up.  I get some stuff from the homebrewshop in stm charles.  Ed runs a great shop with good prices.  He is also in my club and will do special yeast orders, bring stuff to meetings to save a trip, etc.  Winemakers is a great shop too.  Kyle is great, they have a good selection, and the location is excellent. I have not brewed with the later yet, typically, I just brew here with 1-2 friends.  I do have a buddy in south wheaton that we alternate with.  Check out www.knaves.org last thurs of the month at john's in winfield. Nice folks and much talent to share.  I'd love to talk recipees with you as I've only been at this about 18 months.

Cheers

Back