• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BEEN AWAY SO LONG I HARDLY KNEW THE PLACE!

BILLY BREW

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hey hoppy folk!
Put up my very first lager, afther brewing for 15 years...Yeah, I know.
Question. I hear conflicting stories on time for ferment at low temps (57df).
I attached the recipe That I designed with my trusty BeerSmith program (Thanks Becky!)
I bagged my hops and so there is very little spooge in the carboy to give any funky flavors.
Should I let her sit or flip it after a week to a secondary to store? Then how long would you all suggest?

Attachments

• BASIC HONEY LAGER.PDF
    25.1 KB · Views: 304
No, no, no, no, no

The old 1,2,3 rule needs to be buried, deep.

1 week, especially on a lager (57F is the high side of pushing it OK for a lager) is NOT enough time. 

for Lagers
  • Ferment with a Lager yeast at lager temps (typically 50F +/- 5F)
  • check FG (looking for about 80% done)  (for a 1.060 beer with 75% attenuation and an expected FG of 1.015 is 1.024)
  • When you are 80% complete in your fermentation (see above) raise the temp of your wort to 65-68F until fermentation completes plus 2 days)  Verify fermentation is complete by measuring the FG 3 days in a row.  If the SG is the same, then you are done and have met the 2 day diacetyl rest requirement.
  • drop your wort temp no more than 2F per day until you hit your lagering temp
  • Now it is safe to carefully transfer your wort to a secondary for lagering

Fred

Fred
If diacetyl rest is complete and beer is largely done, why not crash chill from 68 to 35F to drop maximum yeast, and then transfer to secondary for lagering?  I'm thinking most lager brewers keg, so yeast cell count for bottling is less important.  (I've never done a lager.)

bonjour said:
  • drop your wort temp no more than 2F per day until you hit your lagering temp
  • Now it is safe to carefully transfer your wort to a secondary for lagering
Fred

Once the beer is down for lager, it can be pretty cold. I held my first one around 40 and it came out pretty well.  Then I put a 8% Ofest in bro-in-laws fridge for about 8 months-there too, good beer.

THANKS GUYS!
Bottled weekend before last and couldn't help to take a taste...I think I done good!
going to give it a month to condition, and then see what I did.

By the by, the black ginger ale turned out fantastic, though I will put more ginger in the next time.
Hey Wheaton, when we gonna go to Rock Bottoms?

Thanks again to all for the advice.
Billy B

Back