• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Whirlpool/Flameout IBU's

J

jon326

So this is probably part of the Promash vs. Beersmith program, but is there anyway to know which is correct? Beersmith gives no rating for flameout/0 minute additions, but there is still isomerization going on. The reason I ask is because in Can You Brew It: Firestone Walker DBA, they only get 10 IBU's from charges during the boil, and they get the other 20 during the whirlpool. But since beersmith doesnt give you any IBU contributions if you whirlpool/add hops at flameout, how are you supposed to know how it's calculated right?

The default hops model in BSmith is Tinseth, and JZ uses Rager.  Rager typically comes out higher.

Tools \ Options \ Bitterness

...and check both to see what it does to the final additions.  If there are other additions like mash hops or FWH, those settings are user-variable on that same screen. 

i always use rager, and yea i know about the fwh and mash hops, but theres nothing about whirlpool/flameout additions. other software like promash and morebeer adjust the ibu's for these but beersmith does not, and i really enjoy beersmith too much to want to switch

jon326 said:
.....theres nothing about whirlpool/flameout additions.

Would a flameout addition be a boil addition with zero minutes?  I think both Garetz and Tinseth have zero minutes at zero utilization.  Rager is odd with the range 0-5 being at 5%, which seems high and quite variable. 

Back