• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Looking for a Scotch Ale "Iron Thistle"

jthoresen

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm looking for a Scotch Ale recipe similar to Rahr & Sons' Iron Thistle.

2009's Champion in the Scottish-Style Ale category at the 15th Annual United States Beer Tasting Championship  (USBTC).

Me to!!! I live in Houston, and have a case coming from Dallas this week.
Hate to admit it, but it's almost as good as mine! d:

Style: Scottish Style Ale
Alcohol By Volume: 8.0%
International Bitterness Units: 25
Color: Dark Brown
Hops: Warrior
Malts: 2 Row, Vienna, Crystal, Chocolate, Carafa Special II
Tasting Notes: Deeply Malty, Caramel, Light Hops

Cheers
Preston

Preston,

Thanks for the info! If I come to Houston in the near future I'll bring you a case.

It's a wonderfully complex beer. I can taste a little smoked and / or peated malt.

If I design a recipe that's close, I'll share it with you.

jthoresen said:
Preston,

Thanks for the info! If I come to Houston in the near future I'll bring you a case.

It's a wonderfully complex beer. I can taste a little smoked and / or peated malt.

If I design a recipe that's close, I'll share it with you.

That would be great! Beer and a recipe! I could offer up some of my HomeBrew as an exchange (Good Beer should be shared). My local specs carries Rawr & Sons but have yet to carry Iron Thistle. It is listed in their computers, but no one has it yet. Cant wait to have some more.

Cheers
Preston

[edit] I just sent Rahr & Sons an email asking for the recipe. Sometimes breweries will be kind enough to give the recipe if asked. Fingers Crossed![/edit]

I have visited Houston five times and fabulous experience for me. Could you indulged me in the offer of your HomeBrew as an exchange (Good Beer should be shared). I am greatly involved in this exchange. Whats say?

Back