• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Is there a pre-boil gravity calculation?

pretzelb

Brewer
Reaction score
I'm trying to get a handle on one part of my process and I'm not sure if this is covered by the "boil off" calculator. What I want to do is enter my pre-boil or post-sparge gravity reading and figure out what my post boil volume should be based on a target OG as supplied by the recipe.

I think my last few batches have been off because I'm not tuning in on my target OG. So if I measure my post sparge wort for gravity and volume, and have my target OG, it should be possible to figure out when to stop my boil by volume. Or at least give a ballpark for when to stop the boil.

I've read some info about doing this calculation but since I bought BeerSmith I thought it would be great if this feature was already built in (and I just can't find it). The "boil off" might do the job but it seems to not work the way I want in that it's not solving for ending volume.

Hi,
  The closest thing we have is the "brewhouse efficiency" button on the main recipe editor - click that to see many of the numbers you are looking for.  Also there is a tag for pre-boil gravity you can add to custom reports.  Do a search on the forum for custom reports and you can see that as well.

Brad

I put the "pre-boil" and "Est OG" tags into my report, and then dialed in over time on those two numbers. 

The recipe is fixed, and once you get your volumes down, your left with the evap rate and EE% to back into from repetitive observations. 

---BOIL PROCESS-----------------------------
Est Pre_Boil Gravity: 1.058 Est OG: 1.068 SG

Attachments

• BrewProcess.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 241
Back