• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

First time brewing with all-grain, have question?

C

cycloptoid

Ok, so I made the switch to all grain brewing after using extracts and such for a while. I was super excited, I got online got instructions, made a kick-ass mash tun and all that jazz.. mt question is, after opening a bottle of the finished product, my beer smells and tastes almost like pure yeast? What in the hell went wrong? Any Suggestions, anyone?

Welcome to the forum Cycloptoid.

If you answer a couple questions for us we may be able to narrow it down for you.
What was the OG and FG?
What yeast?
How long was it in primary?
Do you use a secondary?
Did you make a starter?
Do you know how old the yeast was?
Could you describe your beer as bready or astringent?
How long has it been bottled?

Cheers
Preston

OG around 10.48, FG around 1.10
Used White Labs California Ale yeast
Primary for 10 days
Secondary for 7 days
No Starter
Yeast was fresh based on date on label
Taste exactly like it smells, definitely on the bread side kinda milky, like pure yeast
It has been bottled for 6 1/2 days.
-Thanky

Give it time. Is your beer carbonated? I usually give my bottle conditioned beer at least 2 weeks before trying it. If the storage area is cold I leave it a month before my first test. If your beer is to yeasty it may not be fully carbonated or just needs time to dissipate the flavors. I have had very disappointing beers that I gave up on only to find that after 8 or 10 months they were super. Good luck!

WLP Cal Ale is an OK flocculating yeast, but not super, and so needs some time to clear in the bottle.

6.5 days is very quick.  3-4 weeks is typical for bottle carbonation.  If these bottles are already carbonated and display bubbles, then for safety sakes you may want to store them in a tub, or in a garbage bag.  It's remotely possible that they are highly charged with priming sugar and could explode later.  Try them again in three weeks and see how they've cleared. 

Maybe you siphoned more yeast into the bottling bucket than usual, and used slightly more sugar than usual?  General process seems OK, just quick to see carbonation.

cycloptoid said:
Used White Labs California Ale yeast
It has been bottled for 6 1/2 days.

I Agree. Give it some more time, it should sort it's self out.

One other suggestion. When you are ready to drink it, Put it in the Fridge for a couple days prior, to make sure everything drop's out of solution.

Cheers
Preston

When you pour your beer into a glass, pour very slowly and leave about one inch left in the bottle. The remaining one inch or so left in the bottle, just pour in the sink.
If you haven't shaken the bottle at all, then you'll probably see some yeast slug in the remainder of the bottle when you pour it in the sink.

The same thing happened to me, with my first couple batches.
When you take your beer out of the fridge, don't shake the yeast up, leave the layer of yeast on the bottom of the bottle.
stevemwazup

It has been bottled for 6 1/2 days

That's your problem.  You are opening it too soon,.
Wait a week or two more.

Back