• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

hop growing

K

koolerdog

Hello from the cherry capitol of the world, Traverse City Michigan.
Curiosity has hit me-
  1 how sensible is it to grow hops in n.w. lower michigan?
  2 which variety is the most requested?
  3 am I crazy for considering this venture?

Welcome koolerdog!  Tc is one of my faves, we have a shack on the beach just north of elk rapids.  I would think hops would grow.  You are on the same lattitude as wash and oregon, but I think they are a tad bit warmer.  I maybe imagining this, but I think I saw hops on the lealanau penninsula.

Welcome Koolerdog,

You can grow hops without worry. They grow like crazy once the get established. I grew enough hops in the second year to do a couple of batches. The first year you trim them to promote root growth. The second year I had over twenty foot of hop "bines" I had 2 Willamette, 2 Nugget, 2 Cascade, and 2 Kent Golding's. They are worth growing just as ornamental. I had as many people asking to see the hops as wanting to drink free (to them ) beer! If we can grow them in Wisconsin you can grow them in Michigan.

Back