• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Chinese Five Spice

Broohoose

Apprentice
Reaction score
Anyone ever use this in a batch?  It sounds like it would be good for a Christmas Ale - cloves, cinnamon, peppercorn, star anise, and fennel.  Just trying to think outside the keg a little.  Any thoughts would be appreciated regarding amount and when to add.  I was thinking 2 tablespoons with about 10 minutes to go in the boil of an amber or red ale.

Sure, It sounds acceptable. Give it a try! :)

Cheers
Preston

Read up on the dosage.  I put a dash of a couple spices in a big iipa/tripel and it is cloying.  The one thing I am leary of is the cinamon stick that was in there for 30 including cooling.

That was a 10gal batch and I think I used 1/4tsp each ground cloves, nutmeg, black pepper, and cinnamon.

Wow.  Thanks for the reality check on the dosage.  I'll research a bit before moving forward.  Sounds like I was on my way to having 10 gallons of alcoholic kool-aid.  Thanks again.

Back