• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water profile tool Question

VonMessa

Apprentice
Reaction score
In the basement, brewing more beer of course.
I have searched the forum (perhaps not enough) about how to use the water profile tool to adjust my local water to water from another area.

In this particular case, it would be Dortrmund, Germany.

The info emailed to my by my local water company is as follows (cut and pasted, sorry):

Results from a water analysis close to your location:

Total hardness - we test for total hardness which is a combination of calcium and magnesium:  101 mg/L

Calcium:                              25.7 mg/L

Calcium as CaCO3:          64.0 mg/L

Alkalinity as CaCO3:        76.1 mg/L

Magnesium:                      9.34 mg/L

Manganese:  ND (not detected)

Sodium:                              22.8 mg/L

pH:                                        7.54

Sulfate:                                19.1 mg/L

Chloride:                              37.7 mg/L

Iron:                                      0.006 mg/L

I'm not sure if you need all of the above results, but other home brewers requested them in the past, so just in case.    We do not test for Bicarbonate, but do test for Alkalinity as CaCO3 and the result is listed above.

Dortmund, Germany profile is as follows:

Ca: 250
Mg: 25
Na: 70
S04: 280
Cl: 100
HC03: 550

I know that the HC03 is carbonate, but if my modest recollection of chem classes serves me right, doesn't a carbonate atom have to be paired with something else, such as Calcium?

This is where I am a bit confused, because I'm not sure how to enter all the info from my water company in the profile tool as Calcium is listed a few different times.

Help  ???

-Dan

Dan
Do you have Palmer's How To Brew?  Page 158 has this table, which shows how to convert what a water reports gives you to what your water tool needs. 

Online is here, as table 13. 

http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter15-1.html

MaltLicker said:
Dan
Do you have Palmer's How To Brew?   Page 158 has this table, which shows how to convert what a water reports gives you to what your water tool needs. 

Online is here, as table 13. 

http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter15-1.html

Sorry for taking so long to respond.  I guess I need to fix my notification settings  :)

Yes, I do have Palmer's book!  Thanks for the advice.

-Dan

Back