• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Partial mashing and steeping

keithshead

Brewer
Reaction score
Hi,

Firstly,  beersmith  has  been a  huuuge  help! But,.... after  designing a beer and  consulting the  classic brewsheet  on brew  day it always includes the  grains that  need to be steeped in the  mini-mash.

Am i just  missing something here or  is  there no steep application  in brewsmith  for partial mashing?  At the moment i  work out  the  amount  of  water  i need for the grain that actualy needs to be mashed separetly then subtract that amount from the total given  by  brewsmith on my brewsheet.  What  is left over  i use to  steep the  grain?

Can anyone help?

It

I am not positive I understand your question, but I think most partial-mashers combine all their grains to be mashed/steeped and mash them together at some water ratio.  Then, they "sparge" or rinse the bag o'grains as best they can.  Or, some people are "mashing" (steeping, dunking, etc.) the bag o'grains twice, and then adding the DME and boiling.  This simulates a batch sparging process (in my mind) in the bag and seems easier to do.  It's like soaking a tea bag twice and combining the runnings, then boiling the wort with the DME.  Hope that helps.

I entered a partial mash recipe in BSmith and it does appear that BSmith calls for sparging the small amount of grains with all the water, which seems to be too much sparging for such little grain. 

Hi,

I  mean  that specialty grains  that need  to be  steeped and  not  mashed always  show  up  in  my  mash profile. I find  it  confusing as  i've  always  understood that  grains  that need to  be steeped  must not  be  mashed  as they  impart  harsh  flavours to the finished  beer,  i.e  the 'steepings' added to  the  wort  that comes  out  of the  minimash tun.

Just re-read my last  post. Confusing as  hell!

I have not read that about "steep only" grains, and the typical steeping temp recommended is approx. 155F, which is in the mash range, so I think you'd be fine.  Sometimes a stout recipe may recommend cold-steeping the darkest grains to limit the grain astringency, but in general, I'd think it is fine to combine them.

Back