• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Rice Hulls as % of ingredients.

warra48

Apprentice
Reaction score
I brewed a Hefeweizen this morning, and am planning to use dump a Dunkelweizenbock onto the yeast cake.

Today was the first time I used rice hulls in the mash.

Although they appear as a % of the malt bill, they don't contribute anything to the fermentables. Changing the amount of rice hulls makes no difference to the OG Estimate. I feel this gives me apparent misleading figures for the % of differing grains making up my malt bill, particularly when comparing my current recipe with others I have or read .

Would it be possible to do a program change and take the rice hull % out of the total malt bill calculation?

They don't contribute anything to the fermentables because they are not fermentable.  The are used to prevent a stuck sparge more than anything else.

Yes, I understand that, and that's why I used them in a hefeweizen.
However, why do they count as a % of the malt ingredients, and are also included in the Total Grains weight?

It makes comparisons with previous or other recipes difficult, particularly where they are not included previously.
Also, recipe design is somewhat more difficult, unless I remember to not add them until the very end of the process.

While I have had the same issue, I do understand why they are in as a percentage. If you do not account for the rice hulls in the total grain bill your strike temps and amount of water required would be off due to the fact that the rice hulls will absorb both water and heat. I imagine the underlying programming of this application might make it hard to remove them from the percentage only area of the recipe but that would be nice. Maybe even a checkbox that lets you remove them temporarily w/o actually doing a delete grain and add grain.

Back