• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

beersmith recipes file

T

tdfoste

Hey, I thought that the program files\beersmith\recipe.bsm file was where beersmith stored all the user entered recipes.  Is this still the case?

Here's why I ask:  I recently had to reinstall beersmith and had a copy of the old install folder.  I did a fresh install, then copied over all the default beersmith files (recipe.bsm, equipment, grain, etc) with my backup copy so I'd still have my recipes, etc.  That seemed to work fine (my recipes were in Beersmith when I ran it), but since that time I have entered in 4 new recipes, all of which appeared to save correctly (i.e. I can exit the program, shutdown, come back and they're still there) but the c:\program files\beersmith\recipe.bsm file still has the old date code shown as it if hasn't been modified for months.  How can this be?  I've searched my system for another copy of recipe.bsm but haven't found any more recent versions.  (there's an old copy on the drive in another location)  Incidentally, I've also added new grains and hops and the grain.bsm and hops.bsm files both also have the old date code.

I'm running Windows 7 and would like to be able to copy the beersmith data to an external drive in case as a backup.
Thanks

Under Vista or Win 7 you may also have a "Compatibility files" directory that shows up on the toolbar when you go to the BeerSmith directory.  This is where your data and the opts file likely lives.  The full path to the compatibility directory is:  C:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\BeerSmith

where {USERNAME} is your login name for Vista.  You may need to enable viewing of system files/directories under your windows file explorer to be able to locate this directory.

Cheers,
Brad

Brad,
Thanks.  I found it.  So, is this the set of files that I should back up then?

Yes,
  Windows 7 stores them in the virtual store by default.

Cheers,
Brad

Back