• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Who left the light on...

mterm

Brewer
Reaction score
I brewed an IPA two weeks ago. It spent a week in the primary and this Saturday it will be a week in the secondary (a glass carboy with a fermentation heater). Last night the light in the room that it was stored in was left on for about 8-10 hours it was an 60 watt energy saving  compact fluorescent lamp. I know that beer does not like light is it possible that I screwed up this batch... ???

You will most likely be fine. Compact fluorescent lamps give off a very low amount of UV light, which is why I think you will be fine. Not only are you saving the enviornment, your also saving your beer from harmful UV rays... d:

Cheers
Preston

you are golden.
The light  with  greatest effect on photo sensitivity  is UV.
One  12 hour period is pretty insignificant anyway.

Nope, I think you're safe...florescents don't do as much damage to your little fartin' buddies as incandecents or sunlight.
JUST DON'T DO IT AGAIN!!! ;)

Thanks for the good news...when I racked it over I tested it and it tasted pretty good I would have hated to have to dumped it out...

If it was bad it would taste/smell skunky.  The UV reacts with alpha acids to make them bind to some other molecules in the wort.  The net result is the same molecule that makes a skunk stink.

It's the same reason you should never by a beer in a green glass that has sat under the lights in the cooler at the market.  If you have to have it buy it in the box.  IMHO

Chas

Back