• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

All Grain Brewing - First batch today, good gravity but too much volume

postban

Apprentice
Reaction score
First batch is in the kettle, Amarillo Pale Ale

Using a 10gal Igloo MLT, flysparging from a 10gal HLT, 15.5gal Keggle, 220,000btu burner (son of a b!tch is impressive), Got a March 125 pump for liquor transfer from keggle (or into carboys), Wort chiller, big ass stainless steel canoe paddle, 20lb grain bill and 10oz hop schedule and a 70 minute boil.

Beersmith says 75% efficiency ought to get me 1.055 OG.

Dough in was at 1000, I hit my mash in and mash out temps on the button, vorlaufed 4 quarts, last two were the same clarity, fly sparged real slow for 40 minutes, preboil OG was two points high (was nervous about that.) Was supposed to be 1.046 corrected but it was 1.048. Boiling down to 1.055 then into primary.

10 oz or Amarillo gold and 20lbs of various grain, recipe customized by Chris of AIH for me.

Grain and malt mill

Hot Liquor Tank
Mash Lauter Tun
Brew Kettle
burner
Extra water for heating up if needed.

What is in my Hot Liquor Tank???

Pic at mashout water addition

Vorlaufing

Fly Sparging

Pic right before the hot break.

=======================================

After action report, it is in primary, big ol' cake of SA-05 on top about to krauzen up a storm. Using a blow-off tube setup this time.

Funny thing about this batch, been brewing extract kits, coming up pretty much on the numbers. This one came in 1.053 where beersmith said target OG was 1.054, so off by one point but here is the weird part, volume out was 11.5 gal. both my primaries are at 5.75 gal, maybe a bit more.

I went by the volumes on the insides of my Igloos after getting close on water in using gallon jugs, and a quart measuring cup. Might have been off a little but 1.5 gallons?!?!?!?

Obviously got good conversion but I would like to find my efficiency number but can't figure it out going backwards in beersmith to find it. Everything worked well, just would like to know that number if possible.

Attachments

• AmarilloPaleAle.xml
    14.3 KB · Views: 347
does this look right?

ag1.jpg

I downloaded your recipe and something does not add up. I suspect that your batch size was set to 11.5 not 10 per the recipe you posted. I could not get the 10G numbers to work out. Once I changed batch size to 11.5 the numbers worked, and 85% efficiency is correct. From what I can tell you ended up with the correct amount of wort per your equipment settings. If you ended up with 5.75G in each fermenter then you are fine because your batch size was 11.5 (11.5 / 2 = 5.75). Did you leave any in the kettle, why do you think you are 1.5G off?

On my 10G batches I usually end up with 11G, which I split between two 6.5G carboys.

Cheers
Preston

I changed it to 11.5 after the fact when I was trying to figure out what went wrong, musta uploaded the modified troubleshooting recipe instead of the initial one. I think I was just set to too low of an efficiency and I used too much strike water.

Made a mark on my paddle where I had measured the amount and yesterday rechecked that and it was two inches too high so about 2 gallons too much sparge. So I got average efficiency for fly sparging with a bonehead water measurement, happy accident caused maybe by a little too much RDWHAHB  ;D
[flash=200,200]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u1bodgb_S4&feature=player_embedded[/flash]

Back