• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water Adjustment Interface

A

abraxas

One thing I have noticed is that I use a separate water adjustment spreadsheet and then enter my adjustments into Beersmith.  I would like it if the Beersmith had a little bit better interface for water adjustment including SRM based alkalinity suggestions and Chloride to Sulfate ratios per style.

The other thing I would like would be a written out BTU or temperature based heat absorption.  I like to know how much temperature drop is going to come from the grain and how much will come from the cooler.  Right now I need to dig deeper into the calcs to figure this out.

And while I am suggesting things, my coworker is getting into BIAB.  Some type of expected efficiency based on grain and system efficiency predictor would be nice based on the graph here: http://www.braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/File:Lauter_efficiency_and_wort_strength.gif  Basically this would allow a person to know that they have a system efficiency of say 75% and they make an educated adjustement downwards based on the amount of grain being used.  This would apply to BIAB and batch sparge methods very well IMO.

Anyways, these are just my suggestions, the software has been great!

abraxas said:
One thing I have noticed is that I use a separate water adjustment spreadsheet and then enter my adjustments into Beersmith.  I would like it if the Beersmith had a little bit better interface for water adjustment including SRM based alkalinity suggestions and Chloride to Sulfate ratios per style.

I came here to make this suggestion.  Right now I am using the Bonnie Blue water calculator to do this for me.  You can find it here:
http://www.bonniebluebrew.com/brewcalc/water.php

Of course I am using RO/Distilled water.

If you could integrate that into Beersmith it would really help me out.  In fact, since the program already knows the SRM and Bitterness:Gravity ratio by looking at my recipe, I think you should be able to click a button and have the water additions automatically figured.  Heck, it could probably do it in the background and just print on my brewsheet to be honest.

Is this possible?  It's my one dream for Beersmith!!!  :)  Honestly, I would buy another copy or 2 of the software just to support you if you could get that in version 2.0.

I was thinking something like this would be great too, a choice to have the program automatically "ballpark" brewing salt additions after choosing a target source.  Any chance it will happen?  Its kind of funny though when you think about it, some or most of the breweries alter their water profiles too.

I just bought beersmith less than a week ago, (I had tried it almost 700 days ago when I was trying out all the calculators) do you know what kind of discount you will be offering current users?  I've been messing with it since I got it, SWMBO thinks I'm turning into a geek or something.  :D

Back