• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

A different grain-sorting flag...

cmbrougham

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Quick suggestion for a new "flag" or column in the grain window/menu...

In the hops window/menu, there is a column called "Type" that allows the user to sort hop varieties based on whether they are used primarily for bittering, aroma, or both. What about something similar for the grain/sugar window/menu?

Let me explain, briefly:

When building a recipe, I usually start with a base malt (I would imagine most people do). Then, I'll add roasted type malts (such as black patent, black malt, or chocolate), crystal/caramel type malts (such as Crystal 60L or Caramunich), or toasted type malts (such as Biscuit, Special Roast, or Melanoidin). I usually have the "Only Show In-stock Items" check box marked, but it would be useful to be able to add an extra malt type designation to malts--such as Base Malt, Roasted Malt, Crystal Malt, Toasted Malt, Flaked Malt/Grain, and so on. Does that make sense? I'm not sure if it would make current selections unusuable.  What do you think? Thanks!

Colin,
 I've been toying with this option - in part because the information would be very useful when converting from extract to all grain or back.

The question is what to do with existing recipes and formats?  Obviously the information would not be in those, so I would need to default it.

I'll take a closer look at this.  I think its a good idea, but I need to work through some of the details.

Cheers!
Brad

I wondered if that wouldn't be the catch. Hmm... not like you need more code to write, but is there some way to create a "macro" or something similar that would automatically re-assign attributes to ingredients in the database? Obviously not the best solution, but it would at least work with the ingredients already in the database... user-defined items would be a different story.

Ergh... I didn't figure there was an easy solution to this one  :D Thanks for giving it thought, though!

I'm still thinking it through - but I do appreciate your ideas!  I think it would be a welcome addition.

Brad

Back