• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brew Day Brew Sheet?

A

ArcticBrewer

Hello.

As most I am still new to the software but wondering once I create a recipe, and I am ready for brew day, is the expectation that I copy the recipe to the Scratch Pad or make a copy for that days brewing?  As we all know every brew session has its own "events" worthy of noting for the next batch or recording to go back in time to reproduce that particular batch.

Hope thats clear as mud.

Thanks!
Tim

Tim,
  You can do this, or some people just copy them to the brew log as needed.  Other people I know add a version number to each recipe's title.

You can use the Save As command on an open recipe to save it as another name.

VR
Brad

Here's how I keep my recipes and data organized. I set them up like a directory structure. Here is mine:

My Recipes
Brew Log
Downloader Recipes
All Grain
Extract
Partial Mash
Past Season Brew Log
08-09 Brews
Planning
All Grain
Luna Pier Beer
Pirate Point Beer
West Erie Basin Beer
Extract
Partial Mash
Sample Recipes

I create a recipe in one of the "Planning" folders depending on the type.
"All Grain" we keep our three basic beer lines separate. 
"Luna Pier Beer" is simple 10lb batches of our house beers.
"Pirate Point Beer" are our seasonal and stronger beers. Typically 12 lb brews.
"West Erie Basin" are specials, 12 to 16 lb beers.
"Extract"  Self explanitory
"Partial Mash" as above

When we are ready to brew a recipe, we "Duplicate" it and edit the name to include a batch number.
Example: The Duplicate of "Erie Beach Blonde Beer", would be renamed from "Copy of Erie Beach Blonde Beer" to "107 - Erie Beach Blonde Beer". We would then drag this into the "Brew Log Folder".

Brew Log contains a list of this current brewing seasons beers. At the end of the brew season, we create another folder under "Past Season Brew Log", the use <Edit>, <Select All> and drag all the recipe's to the newly created folder. This leaves "Bre Log" clear for next season.

It is important to keep the "Brew Log" folder neat and only have the brews you are brewing as the "Calendar" is set up to only look at recipes in "Brew Log"

For our data during the brew session, we have created simple list of the data we want to collect while brewing. We <Copy> a blank form into the "Recipe Notes" box at the bottom of the recipe page. When you print your "Brewsheet", theses notes appear at the bottom of the page. We fill in the data during our brew session with pen, and when all packageing is complete, we type the data into the Recipe page where it wull stay on file for future use.

Copy of our Recipe Notes Form:

Strike = ___*F, Mash Start = ___*F,  Mash End = ___*F, Corrected Decoct Volume = ___ qt, Mash Out = ___*F,
1st Running Volume = _.__ gal, Absorption = _.__ gal, S.G. = 1.___, Sparge Temp = ___*F, 2nd Running = _.__ gal, S.G. = 1.___,
3rd Running = _.__ gal, S.G. = 1.___, Pre-Boil Gravity = 1.___, Boiled Wort Gravity (O.G.) = 1.___, Primary = PRI- _
Yeast History = __, __, __, __, __, __, __, __, __, __, _ Use, Pitch Date = __/__/__, Pitch Temp = __*F, Pitch Time = __:__,
Date Air Lock lift = __/__/__, Time Air Lock Lift = __:__, Full Activity Date = __/__/__, Full Activity Time = __:__, Secondary = SEC - _, Rack Date = __/__/__, Gravity into Secondary = 1.0__, Secondary Temp = __*F, Bottle/Keg Date = __/__/__, Final Gravity = 1.0__, Attenuation % = __.__%

Clear as Mud??  I hope this helps.

Preston

You can also create custom reports that use/show the fields you want.  Under TOOLS \ OPTIONS \ REPORTS, you can add custom reports that you have created using the BeerSmith codes.  Attached is my brew day text file.  I used the Tasting Notes text field for Water Chemistry notes. 

Code:
Style: Weizen/Weissbier
Recipe: 15A Hefeweizen	TYPE: All Grain
---RECIPE SPECIFICATIONS-----------------------------------------------
SRM: 6.6 SRM		SRM RANGE: 2.0-8.0 SRM
IBU: 17.7 IBU Rager	IBU RANGE: 8.0-15.0 IBU
OG: 1.051 SG		OG RANGE: 1.044-1.052 SG
FG: 1.012 SG		FG RANGE: 1.010-1.014 SG
BU:GU: 0.347		Calories: 225 cal/pint	Est ABV: 5.06 %		
EE%: 55.00 %	Batch: 4.00 gal      Boil: 6.26 gal	BT: 90 Mins

Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
1 Pkgs        Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068)  Yeast-Wheat                

---WATER CHEMISTRY ADDITIONS----------------
Chalk 1.0; Gyp 0.0; CalChlr 2.0; Epsom 2.2; Soda 0.0; RA=minus 2.6
C:S = 1.17 balanced.  Ca:72, Mg:16, Na:4, Cl:71, SO:61
Prepare 8.24 gal Water for Brewing

Ingredients for Mashing
0.50 lb       Rice Hulls (Briess) (0.0 SRM)             Adjunct      4.87 %        
4.00 lb       Wheat - White Malt (Briess) (2.3 SRM)     Grain        39.04 %       
2.00 lb       Maris Otter (Crisp) (4.0 SRM)             Grain        19.52 %       
2.00 lb       Pilsen (Dingemans) (1.6 SRM)              Grain        19.52 %       
1.00 lb       Munich I (Weyermann) (9.0 SRM)            Grain        9.75 %        
0.50 lb       Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)                   Grain        4.88 %        
0.25 lb       Aromatic Malt (Dingemans) (19.0 SRM)      Grain        2.42 %        

Total Grain Weight: 10.26 lb	Total Hops: 0.80 oz.
---MASH PROCESS------MASH PH:5.4 ------
>>>>>>>>>>ADD WATER CHEMICALS BEFORE GRAINS!!<<<<<<<
Single Infusion, Medium Body
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
90 min        Mash In            Add 11.90 qt of water at 166.6 F    152.0 F       
10 min        Mash Out-Infusion  Add 4.93 qt of water at 210.1 F     167.0 F       

---SPARGE PROCESS-----RECYCLE FIRST RUNNINGS & VERIFY GRAIN/MLT TEMPS: 72.0 F/72.0 F
Add first wort hops during sparge
0.80 oz       Tradition [4.40 %]  (90 min) (First Wort HHops         17.7 IBU      
Sparge with 4.04 gal of 168.0 F water.

---BOIL PROCESS-----------------------------
Est Pre_Boil Gravity: 1.043	Est OG: 1.051 SG
Boil Ingredients
Boil         Amount       Item                                      Type         
10 min       2.41 gm      Wyeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min)           Misc         
9 min        0.80 items   Wort Chiller (Boil 9.0 min)               Misc         

---FERM PROCESS-----------------------------
Primary Start: 4/2/2010 - 12 Days at 65.0 F
Secondary Start:  N/A  - 0 Days at 68.0 F
Style Carb Range: 3.3-4.5 vols
Bottling Date: 4/14/2010 with 3.0 Volumes CO2: 
---NOTES------------------------------------
Note: FWH set at minus 10%. 

Attachments

• BrewProcess.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 405
No, I asked also, and there doesn't seem to be one yet. 

Maltlicker,

Thanks ...  We also use a custom report for our recipes. It is html rather than text but you can print it from the recipe overview.

Preston

Attachments

• Pirate 2 Report_template.htm
    4.7 KB · Views: 510
Arcticbrewer,

Re-reading all of this information it seems there is alot here. I included a recipe that shows the note form in the brew notes box. I haven't figured out how to send a snapshot of the recipe directory structure.

Hope this and Maltlicker's info helps you get started.

Preston

Attachments

• recipes.bsm
    12.4 KB · Views: 340
All I can say is Wow!  Thanks for all of the helpful ideas and good info.

I will give them a whirl.

Back