• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Kegging beer for secondary?

dabeer

Brewer
Reaction score
I have an IPA that has been in the primary for 13 days. I was going to transfer to secondary then to keg, since I am not dry hopping, can I just transfer it to keg and let it age in a cool dark place in basement for a month or so.  It would be nice to skip the secondary, and this way I can reduce contamination and purge the oxygen out of the keg so there is no oxidation.  Does anyone see anything wrong with this?
Thanks

IPA's or any beer with Lot's of hops. lose there aromatic oils quickly. I would (think) that you would be better off by letting your beer sit on the yeast cake a week longer and dry hop it there also. Skip the secondary! Infact I have a "Chinook IPA" that is 12 days old. When I get done typing this I am going over to dump a ounce of Chinook hops into the PRIMARY and let it mellow for a week and then go directly to the keg. I will siphone with the utmost care. After a week of carbonation I will draw off the first glass (or two) collecting the muck and yeast. Hopefully the rest will be crystall clear.

dabeer,

Since you said you aren't dry hopping, you could probably skip the secondary at this point and go into the keg for more ageing. The worst that can happen now is that the first glass from the keg may be full of yeast. I hear the wife's flowers realy like a glass of yeasty beer at least once every spring!! ::)

I know my grass does!  ;D

Preston

can I just transfer it to keg and let it age in a cool dark place in basement for a month or so

If you can go that long without checking that the seals are all tight, that nothing is leaking, that it is carbonating correctly, that sample for carbonation must be taste tested, it will be good but cloudy, another sample is in order, it is good... It is rare for a keg to last a month in my basement.

Maine Homebrewer,

It is rare for a keg to last a month in my basement.

Is this a leaky seal problem ???  or too many taste tests during the month ;D

Seriously, We haven't been kegging long enough to have a long ageing history. Since we have more kegs than room in the fridge, we usually have two or three waiting. Max wait has been 2 months. We didn't notice any problem other than the yeast in first draw. Have you experienced spoilage?

Preston

Back