• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Level up to BeerSmith

Ziggybrew

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hey everybody! Nube poking around in the forum. I'm from Central PA and am new to home brewing, winemaking, etc.

Been brewing since Christmas. Currently fermenting batches 12 & 13. Have been trying to learn about styles, hop usage, and yeast. Learned a lot from reading Palmer's How To Brew. Wanted to use and understand BeerSmith before switching from extract to All-Grain.

Right now, I experimented with some available ingredients and am looking forward to the results. Just not quite sure what I have brewed LOL. Somebody said it might be a Scotch Ale. 8# of light LME and 2# of amber LME, 1/2 oz. of Columbus (14.6%) and some Windsor yeast. ???

10# extract in five gallons is pretty malty.  Windsor is kinda fruity, so that may depend on the ferm temps. 

Are you steeping any specialty grains yet, or just extract?  If not, that would be a next step. 

Ziggybrew,

It sounds like you are going to fun brewing. The best match I could find was style 19A Old Ale. You are right at the low end of gravity, color is fine, IBU is a little light, out of style range. If the Windsor yeast can get down to 1.015, it'll be a nice 6% brew. It definitely won't be a Bud Lite Clone!! ;D

Maltlicker is correct. Keep learning!

Preston

Looking at my notes, I lied. It was a pack of Notty. (The Windsor went in my 2 gallon experiment) The OG was 1.068. the room was kept at a steady 63 (according to all my other carboys) yet when it was at it's peak fermenting activity, it stayed at a steady 70 degrees.
Category 23? LOL.  I'll probably keg it this weekend and have a preview sip.

Back