• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Stupid question about glasses

Djehuty

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I hesitate to ask, because I'm sure this is a fairly stupid question, but Google hasn't kicked out an answer yet (I'm probably asking wrong), so here goes.  Don't make me sit in the corner wearing the dunce cap too long, OK? :)

My beer goes into 12-oz. bottles.  All the pub-style glasses are 16 oz. or larger.  What does one do with the extra space?

Good question. I found that kegging does the trick! I have tested it out and it is TRUE! If you use a keg the glass's of homebrewers usually are 100 percent full. No wasted space! One caution! Walking any distance with a full glass will cause some brew to disappear? Always sip from the glass before walking!

Djehuty said:
I hesitate to ask, because I'm sure this is a fairly stupid question, but Google hasn't kicked out an answer yet (I'm probably asking wrong), so here goes.  Don't make me sit in the corner wearing the dunce cap too long, OK? :)

My beer goes into 12-oz. bottles.  All the pub-style glasses are 16 oz. or larger.  What does one do with the extra space?

Head space my friend.  If your beer doesn't have much of a head...well you are using the wrong style of glass.  Cheers!!

The head should fill a quarter of the glass -- enough for four ounces of liquid?  I may need to work on that.  I think my brews can build up that large a head, but it wouldn't last terribly long.

Djehuty said:
The head should fill a quarter of the glass -- enough for four ounces of liquid?  I may need to work on that.  I think my brews can build up that large a head, but it wouldn't last terribly long.

Honestly I think it's a bit much to stress over how much room is left over in a glass of beer.  You really don't want the beer, or even the head for that mater, to be all the way to the brim.  That space catches aromatic vapors which contribute more to the flavor than you would think.  Other than that, if you are really serious about filling your glass to the brim you could bottle in 16oz bottles or take Bobs suggestion and keg your brew.

James

I'm not really stressing over it. :)  The question only arises because I've seen some pub glasses I like, but I haven't purchased any because I don't think it would look quite right to serve them only three-quarters full of beer.  Kegging is beyond my means at this time.  I was just trying to work out whether it's usual practice to serve 12 oz. of beer in a 16 oz. glass.

HA HA HA   Glasses.   Well I suppose it's  fair game to try to match the glass with the brew  you know those long tall slender willowy thin glass  glasses for your callandra brewed golden Pilsners and a hefty thick home defense weapon of a mug for Belgian Abby  beers etc.

But, I think you can get away with whatever works.  I have a set of heavy mugs I like especially well  'cause when I freeze them they carry a lot of thermal inertia keeping my brew cooler longer.

I got 4  ridiculously over sized mugs  at the A&P for like a buck apiece.  I picked up  6 of them.   They hold maybe a hectoliter or something. When I got the first  one I was thinking that they were ridiculous so I only bought one. But the first time I poured one of my 16 ounce flip top brews in it and was able to decant the whole damn flip top at one pour (read: no yeast cake in my glass) I was  well impressed.  There was ample room for the head which really did take up the rest of the space.   So I got some more.

I like the 16 ounce flip top bottles for my light refreshing  low alcohol summer ales  which are of that sort that one  can never get enough of them. So  one can drink and drink and drink and still yearn for more. The heavier mug freezes nicely too.

So use whatever the hell ya got and enjoy it  Then later on when you get to Jonsing for some sophistication you can buy that collection of tall pilsner glasses.

Kegging works. 
Or you could drink a Grolsch or two now and then and reuse the 16oz flip top bottles.
I do both.

Back