• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

partial mash question

B

bierhunter

Hi,

I've gone to all-grain from kits but I still have a number of coopers kits left over(lager, ipa, draft, mexican cerveza) that I really don't like the taste of made from kit directions, and even adding dme leaves them lacking.  I want to do a partial mash with them. How do I enter them in Brewsmith, is just Pale liquid malt extract good enough?  I know they are pre-hopped and probably have a proprietary formula but if anyone can tell me something in the ballpark that would be nice.

bierhunter,

Others have had the same problem/questions. see link
http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php?topic=2630.0

Certainly we have no better ideas. We're equally confused & hope we're correct in assuming the data on the Cooper's website for IBU does not show a decimal point in the IBU value. i.e. the Lager kit shows IBU at 390. We assume that to be 39.0. We hope others have a better answer.

Good Luck,
Preston

Not sure if this question has been answered elsewhere but the quoted IBU for coopers kits is per kilogram of extract. This has been confirmed by coopers themselves.

In Australia a common brew size is 23litres (6 gallons)

To convert the ibu we multiply by the weight of the kit (1.7kg) and divide by the volume of the brew (23L).
So for the lager kit it would be 390IBU x 1.7kg / 23L = 28.8IBU for brew

Even though this example is in metric hopefully it is helpful to those working in imperial units.

Cheers
Earle

Back