• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Howdy, from Houston TX!

M

muddkatt

I'm new to the forum and recently graduated to all grain brewing. I have a half dozen all grains under my belt, all ales and all successful (fingers crossed, knocked on wood). Hope ya'll can steer me from running my brew into the ditch from time to time. I'm a bottler not a kegger and tend to follow the "relax, don't worry" philosophy when it comes to brewing. Houston isn't hospitable to the home brewer because of tropical climates, even in winter, so I've gotten used to using an external thermostat controlled fridge to control my fermentation temps.
What led me to this website was a possible foolhardy attempt (considering my short experience at all grain) to brew a German Pils, and a search for some clarity in cold fermenting techniques with lager yeast. My first question would be, is there a forum for cold fermentation brewers to ask the bazillion questions I have.

Thanks
Muddkatt
"Beer has gotten me through times with no money better than money has gotten me through times with no beer"

Hello Muddkatt. I hail from Houston as well.
Welcome to the world of all grain brewing. You have now moved to the domain of the 10% of home brewers.

Houston has challenges for brewers, especially lager brewers. First bit of advice, since you are asking, is to begin kegging. Brewing is supposed to be fun and washing a bazillion bottles and then sanitizing them--filling them-- is not my idea of fun. Last time I bottled my batches was while living in Washington state during the 90's while serving in the Navy. I would not want to attempt that labor in hot humid Houston, with sweat stinging my eyes and contaminating my efforts. Besides, it is unnatural to confine bier, a living product, in a small 12 oz bottle. Bier does better in a larger volume, like a keg, barrel, or a uni-tank. P.S. I like your slogan.
-Bier Liebhaber

Back