• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Getting smell out of future fermenter buckets

Polar Bear

Apprentice
Reaction score
I just received  eight five gallon food grade buckets from my brother that jalapenos in a brine were contained. They are on the porch and smell like jalapenos. They have been washed and sanitized but continue to smell of jalapenos. How can I get ride of the smell so I can use these for beer and wine making. If anybody has any experience with this I would greatly appreciate the feedback.

Large amounts of baking soda?  It might work to make a paste of baking soda and water, coat the entire inside surface, and leave it for a few days.  But I'm not sure.  The last time I tried to get the smell (and taste) of hot peppers out of plastic, I did it by buying a new container.

Maybe a long soak with OxyClean or PBW?

Put a tablespoon of oxyclean (yes, laundry detergent) in the bucket and fill with hot water.  Let it sit for a day or two.

This formula is great for getting labels off old beer bottles too, that is if you don't want to save the label.  Let the bottle soak for about 10 minutes and it'll wipe off with a sponge.

Back