• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Anyone use EZ Water Calculator?

MaltLicker

Forum Moderator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
A friend pointed me to ezwatercalculator.com and their sheet.  It's based on Palmers but prettier. 

It also has a calculation for adding minerals to the boil, above and beyond what you add to the mash.

Palmer focuses on the mash minerals, but it makes sense that some minerals would get stuck in the grain bed during lautering.  I tried it Saturday and the fermentation is largely done already.  Just wondering if the additional calcium and Mg helped the ferm that much. 

Why should you add the sparge salts to the boil?  Is there any sort of risk of anything if the sparge water isn't treated properly as it passes through the grain bed? 

I used the spreadsheet for the first time today by the way and I like it a lot.  It reminds me a bit like the brewersfriend calculator that I normally use though I think EZ water might be slightly more user friendly.  Not to mention I don't have to go to the internet to use it

http://www.brewersfriend.com/water-chemistry/

I've been using the Ez Water program for a while now. So far I have a mineral profile for an IPA, Scottish 60, Stout, and a Barlywine.
There are some Youtube Video's by Bobby M that has help me understand the concepts of water adjustment, and how to use this program with a little more ease. I think his video's are under BobbyfromNJ .
stevemwazup.

I watched the videos by Bobby from NJ and one thing he mentioned was Mosher's recommendation for a Pale Ale profile.  I have Mosher's Radical Brewing and don't remember any water profile suggestions for beer styles?  Does anyone know where I can find these?  I think water profile suggestions for beer styles are more intuitive than city profiles.

Wildrover said:
Why should you add the sparge salts to the boil?  Is there any sort of risk of anything if the sparge water isn't treated properly as it passes through the grain bed? 

I think it is two different things.  The EZ sheet indicates additional brewing salts (minerals) for the boil, I think to ensure that enough calcium and mag are in the boil for the hot break, and then in the fermenter for the yeast. 

The acid in the sparge (which I don't do) is usually lactic or phosphoric to acidify alkaline sparge water.  Many texts warn against tannin-stripping if the sparge water is so alkaline that it gradually strips all the buffering capability from the mash at the end of lautering. 

I've never bothered, but my water is ~9.0 pH, and I just found a tiny eye dropper this weekend, so I may add a drop or two of lactic to the sparge water next brew. 

The ph. of my water is right around 9 as well.  I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong by not treating my sparge water and adding it directly to the boil. Is there anything anywhere that says you should treat your mash, sparge and boiling wort? 

Back