• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Spent grain disposal

U

unclejack

After using many different methods to get rid of my spent mash grain my wife came up with a suggestion that works just fine, for me . . . I just spread it out on an old 1/2 sheet of plywood in the yard and let the birds have at it. It gets rid of my spent grain and it is a source of entertainment in the evening while quaffing a cold one.

U.J.

I don't have as much as the rest of you guys since I only extract-brew, but what adjuncts I do use end up in my compost bin...I'm hoping it will eventually make tomatoes that taste like beer! ;-)

Living in a 4th floor apartment limits my composting and/or chicken feeding options. I suppose I could give the neighborhood cockroaches a feast, but I doubt if the neighbors themselves would look kindly on that. No, my spent grains go out with the Tuesday and Friday trash.  :(

If the birds like it to much the efficiency of your mash is not good. At first when I started all graining, the birds, the bugs, and even my dog loved mine. But since I have refined my mash and feel I now extract all the useful sugars out I find nothing much touches it. Work on that and buy bird food at the store. Then enjoy a great home brew while watching them. 8) 8)

Thanks for the adivse SteveO.

Does this mean that I have to give back the awards from my last 7 entries at state wide home brew competitions? 2-first, 4 second, 1 third. Seven for seven isn't too bad, is it? I guess it would be better if they were all "best of show" so there IS room for improvement.

The Nebraska birds must be more discriminating than the ones here in California. Not too long after mine hits the ground the wild turkey, dove, and deer are all over it. Since I am on a fixed retirement income I think I'll just keep on doin' what I'm doin' for now and spend that bird seed money on more brewing components.

Keep on brewin' brother! Sounds like you enjoy your birds & brew as much as I do.

Don't take yourself too seriously, laugh much, live long, and enjoy a cold one,  U.J.

WTH are "thingyroaches"? The spelling censor needs some work on this forum, apparently.

I must be the only one who eats it ;).

I am going to make bread with my next batch.

Don

;D  I use it as mulch and the mums have the neighbors taking pictures...they say they have NEVER seen plants grow like they did in our little flower garden (next years Hop bedding) ::)

Back